4/28/04

LIFE Rolls inspite of my academic weakness

As life rolled I began to prove that I am no good at other subjects too. My weakest link was considered to be Science. I really did not get how it is going to help me in future. After all my science teacher was living a middle class life,
may be Newton’s “every action has equal and opposite reaction” might have worked somewhere in my life, the bottom line was most thing I learnt academically at school was to get away from my teachers punishment.
If you see I have used the word “academically”, I really did not enjoy reading text books, Hence I tried to poke into other things, just to keep me away from academics.


Quick Lollu,SUNTV

The Itchy and scratchy show, I am talking about Medimix Dinakaran, The Tamil Cine award fiasco.
In a nut shell, medimix is supposed to be a medicated soap frankly after watching this nonsense for 3 hrs, everyone who watched this show must get a soap bar free just to clean themselves. I really do not know how so much money could be wasted to a program that was totally itchy and scratchy right from the start.
Master of ceremony: Dindugal Leoni, I agree he is a very funny guy and he knows to talk etc. it is madras and it is hot agreed, But some one should teach him to use a kerchief at least to wipe his face at regular intervals. In fact, his face made Indian Oil Corporation jealous. He is a great Oil resource. The lady sidekick with him, I never bothered to check her name, the ground rule for show side kicks are “you should not know to pronounce any word properly”. Quite horrendous pronunciation, I think music directors these days pick words from these kinds of programs. Now to the awards, Kadal konden got awards and on the contrary AnbeSivam was given for the best movie that gave a message to the society. by this do they mean "kadal konden" did not give any message? and Leoni did not talk about Kamal hassan who was the real architect of this movie. He forgot or may be he did not know it was kamal., kamal was in a different "getup" right. A skilled Mimicry guy did the climax of kadal konden well, did he try to prove that acting like danush is quite simple.? I dont know. Dhina was given the best music director award; by all fairness “manmatha rasa” was the most popular song in tamilnadu. But he should be fined heavly for vandarkuzali, which was a total lift from "dance papa dance papa kobam koLathe". Shanker mahadevan was denied an award and Harish Ragavendra took the prize for a song from Bharathi, lady singer Malathy deserved it fully. Vikram got the best actor , deserved for it in Sami but not for pithamagan. I am still wondering what is so big about pithamagan?, Viramuthu was the only person who gave a good speech. I am seriously considering to ask for a credit on such shows in future. Dam! I am paying $15.99 to watch this rotten junk.

One such thing is music, I really don’t want to lie that I had great music sprit in me by birth, like any other kid I just had a natural attachment to it. During 1970-80 there was an explosion of musical bands in Chennai. A.V.Ramanans Musiano , SivaraRaj Anand were few notable bands. By virtue of my late grand father, who served as the president for a local Sabha, took me many light music shows. His tenure was quite short in this post; however I managed to watch many light music shows. This got me on to film music.
Just like other kids of that age, I loved the drummer, wanted to be one. I started to bang doors, steel chairs etc, got banged from my parents for breaking few things at home. My parents patronized Carnatic music to a great extent, but I started to be rebel and listened only to film music. At this time, I saw an advertisement in school notice board. School band was inviting new students to join the band. I was excited, begged my parents and they nodded their head. I got signed up with a monthly fee of Rs5.00.
The auspicious day came, my school closed at 4.05pm, we were asked to assemble by 4.15pm in our school playground.

I got there excited and thinking about film songs I was very keen to learn “Enaadi meenashi”, The “Manmada rasa” of that period. ,

We were asked to select instrument, thanks to my name that starts with “S” I was the last but one person. “vidhi” played its game again. We were left with 2 instruments to choose. I was forced to choose an instrument that was going serve my life all through. If you think it to be a keyboard you are wrong. It was a “cymbol” technically called “Jalra”. Added to the agony this was the school march fast band. I was asked to strike the cymbol on the count 1 2 3 4. The senior kids were strangling their trumpets, tubas and clarinets. They gave me a pondichery police man cap to wear and made me stand in the last row near the bass drum. With that hat on my head I looked more or less like a mobile light house.
The songs we played were “janda uncha rahe hamara”, “sare jahache acha”,
though these are good patrotic songs, they way they played it was sheer cacophony, I was demoralized totally.
And if you wonder what the person after me got, it was dam puny little “triangle”. I really don’t know what he was feeling my feeling was I went to play “enadi meenashi” but ended as a “jalra” to a band. My music sprit at that time “katrodu poiachu….”

[Life rolls....]

0 comments: