9/18/07

Trip Tick! #4

One among my top 5 activities in Chennai was exploring restaurants. My regular list includes the legendry woodlands drive-in, Saravana Bhavan, Rathna Cafe and few more new ones like Mamalla near Mahabalipuram. My top 3 star restaurants are GRT Golden days, Radisson near the Airport and Le Meridian. I also tried the famous road side fast foods popularly called [கை ஏந்தி பவன்]. Over the years my craving for such food seems to have not diminished even a bit.

Over all I felt an improvement in the food quality, meaning, I did not get the stomach bug. The choices seem to have multiplied with wider range of cuisines. In the mid range category I felt the Saravana Bhavan found near Sathyam was very good, while the (Great) Kebob factory [TGKF] inside the Radisson [Meenambakkam] was mind blowing.

TGKF features a rich selection of 150+ succulent kebobs. Their menu offers choices for vegetarians [and the Meat eaters]. An unlimited buffet filled with various kinds of Kebobs served to your table in a round robin league fashion. Every item is described well and circulated around the table. You can have as much as you can. Don’t miss the deserts and remember that you will be full much before the deserts. Remember to leave some room for them as they are totally out of the world.

I would rate this as the best vegetarian food I have had in Chennai till date. Each plate costs around Rupees 600+taxes [$17], the dollar rupee conversion comes in handy. You need to make advance reservation and be there on time, the India stretchable time [IST] fails to work.

Tip to eat more: a full day of fasting is suggested or just an hour before the dinner, drink a bottle of plain Soda + Lime + salt juice. This would be a good appetizer.

More..

0 comments: