2/23/09

எல்லாப்புகழும் ரஹ்மான்னுக்கே!

“My dream” came true today. “Jai Ho” is being played on various radio and TV shows this morning. Words cannot express my happiness when ARR’s name was announced. Oscar nomination is just the ticket to the base camp and not the summit. Winning is the summit and an Oscar double is mammoth accomplishment for an artist. The Indian music has been recognized by the most prestigious outfit in the West. Thanks to A.R. Rahman.

When I landed here in US, long time ago in mid 90s, no TV or Radio shows showed any Indian music stores in US did not carry any music from India. If at all I find one, it was an old classical music CDs. I often rue that “our” music has not been given the due respect by the west. I use to think one day we would have a song from India that would top charts around the world. After all the most popular song in US is “Hey Macarena” and it is not in English. When a Spanish song could carry energy, why not an Indian song? This is also one good reason for me to somehow find time to do music. I want to contribute to this cause as little as I can. Indian music is something remarkable. I cannot describe in words the amount of passion, energy it conveys across to the listener.

A.R.Rahman’s Music is all about the energy that he ports or conveys to my ears. For example the song “Janagana ma” from Yuva“ or “Newyork nagaram” coveys lot of energy, power and emotion. The melodic notes for the songs come from the heart.
Yesterday the Oscar show had many slow movements that kept people yawning. The movement the Dancers started “Oh saya” and “Jai ho”, the stage lit up with a lot of color. The music mixed in 5.1 Dolby Digital sound took us to a new zone filled with pumping energy. Whatever I am trying to explain here “has to be felt”.

Music is not mere entertainment; listening to music changes “behavioral chemicals” in our tensed human body. A.R.Rahman ‘s music in particular has rescued me from work pressures , tension, hate and other negativities that surrounds my life. Time and Time again, it has kept me in sync with reality. A.R.Rahman deserves all the accolades, let us celebrate it. He rightly put it in a nutshell
"you have a choice in life between Love and Hate, and choose love, it takes you to places"
. Congratulations Rahman.

On a lighter note, I sprained my ankle and calf (ok ok Cow) muscles, thanks to my impromptu dance when A.R.Rahman won the Oscar.

“Jai ho”

0 comments: